Joseph B. Martin Conference Center at Harvard Medical School
March 29 – 31, 2017
Each spring, the Office for Faculty Affairs offers a three-day course designed for HMS and HSDM instructors, assistant professors, and associate professors who have responsibility for a research grant, laboratory, educational course, or clinical program. The goal of the course is to build on participants’ knowledge base and skills to enhance their professional development as administrative leaders in academic medicine. The curriculum focuses on human resource management, negotiation, finance, self assessment, communications, and personal career development. A sample course agenda is available here. Women and minorities are particularly encouraged to apply.
The 2017 HMS Leadership Development for Physicians and Scientists will take place from Wednesday, March 29 to Friday, March 31.
Quotes from past participants
- “Received great advice from top leadership around Harvard.”
- “It was a treat to get away from the hectic pace of my research and clinical responsibilities to take time to reflect on my career trajectory. I left the course not only with a better vision of where I wanted to go in the next 5 years, but also equipped with practical tools that I could use to get me there.”
- This course was a phenomenal opportunity to meet inspiring leaders, gain valuable pearls. Thank you so much for investing the time and effort to bring together such exceptional faculty and mentors!”
Eligibility and Application
The course is intended for HMS/HSDM faculty in the early stages of leadership, and not for chairs of departments or divisions. Applicants must be engaged in activities at HMS, HSDM, and affiliate institutions a minimum of 50% time or 2.5 days per week. Preference for eligibility will be given to faculty who have held appointments as:
- Instructor for at least 2 years,
- Assistant Professor for any number of years,
- and Associate Professor for no more than 3 years.
Please note that we require a three-day commitment from all attendees starting at 7:30 AM and ending at 5:00 PM. An optional information session on promotions at HMS is offered on the second day from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM. The 2017 HMS Leadership Development for Physicians and Scientists will take place from Wednesday, March 29 to Friday, March 31. We expect all participants to attend the entire course.
Applications are typically submitted in the fall. We endeavor to send notifications of acceptance by the end of the calendar year. Please check again soon for additional information on the 2016–2017 cycle.
Tuition and Location
Tuition for the course is $650. Registration and payment are filed through the Continuing Medical Education office which charges an additional processing fee. Limited parking spaces may be available upon request for an additional $30/day.
The course takes place at the Joseph B. Martin Conference Center in the New Research Building at Harvard Medical School.
Faculty Development Coordinator