Joseph B. Martin Conference Center at Harvard Medical School
March 30 – April 1, 2016
This course is designed for HMS and HSDM instructors, assistant professors, and associate professors (see specifics under “eligibility guidelines”) who currently have responsibility for a research grant, laboratory, educational course, or clinical program. The goal of the course is to build on participants’ knowledge base and skills to enhance their professional development as administrative leaders in academic medicine. The course curriculum focuses on human resource management, negotiation, finance, self assessment, communications, and personal career development. Women and minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. A sample course agenda is available here.
This course is intended for HMS/HSDM faculty in the early stages of leadership, and not for chairs of departments or divisions. Additionally, one must be engaged in activities at HMS, HSDM, and affiliate institutions a minimum of 50% time or 2.5 days per week. Preference for eligibility will be given to faculty who have held appointments as:
- Instructors for at least 2 years,
- Assistant Professors for any number of years,
- and Associate Professors for no more than 3 years.
Please note that we require a three-day commitment from all attendees starting on Wednesday, March 30 at 8:00 AM and ending on Friday, April 1 at 5:00 PM and expect all participants to attend the entire course.
Quotes from previous participants
- This course was a phenomenal opportunity to meet inspiring leaders, gain valuable pearls. Thank you so much for investing the time and effort to bring together such exceptional faculty and mentors!”
- “Received great advice from top leadership around Harvard.”
- “It was a treat to get away from the hectic pace of my research and clinical responsibilities to take time to reflect on my career trajectory. I left the course not only with a better vision of where I wanted to go in the next 5 years, but also equipped with practical tools that I could use to get me there.”
Tuition and Accreditation (Physicians)
Tuition for this course is $650.
Harvard Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The Harvard Medical School designates this live activity for a maximum of 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.* Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada recognizes conferences and workshops held outside of Canada that are developed by a university, academy, hospital, specialty society or college as accredited group learning activities.
Through an agreement between the American Medical Association and the European Union of Medical Specialists, physicians may convert AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ to an equivalent number of European CME Credits® (ECMECs®). Information on the process of converting AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ to ECMECs® can be found at: www.eaccme.eu.
*Note: AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ is calculated based on submission of a preliminary agenda and may be subject to change.For more information about this program, please contact:
Damien Mahiet, Faculty Development Coordinator
Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck St., Room 206, Boston, MA 02115
Tel. (617) 432-1198
Email: email@example.com Last Updated: February 16, 2016
These pages maintained by the Office For Faculty Affairs